- With shoppers turning to stations for last-minute gifts, Network Rail reports 9% retail sales growth across its managed stations over the festive period
- Paddington, Euston and King’s Cross performed best, with five stations recording double-digit sales growth
- 31% of total station users – around 33 million people – visited a station retailer between 18 November and 23 December
National & regional news
London Overground’s Gospel Oak to Barking line to re-open as electrification of the line nears completion
- Gospel Oak to Barking line to fully re-open on Monday 15 January
- The new electrified line will be fully tested ahead of new state-of -the-art trains being introduced in spring 2018
Engineers will begin track modernisation work in Flint later this month as part of Network Rail’s Railway Upgrade Plan.
The next phase of the Midland Main Line upgrade is set to begin in Corby this month with a major road bridge to be reconstructed.
Passengers advised to plan ahead as Brighton Main Line rail improvement project is announced for October 2018 and February 2019
Rail passengers across Sussex are being urged to plan ahead as a ‘once-in-a-generation’ upgrade to the southern end of the Brighton Main Line was announced today by Network Rail and Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR).
The views of residents, businesses and passengers are being sought over the next four weeks on plans to continue the transformation of east-west rail services between Oxford, Bicester and Bedford and Milton Keynes and Aylesbury.
The railway between Whitehaven and Workington on the Cumbrian coast line has reopened after repairs to a sink hole were completed.
Bloxwich level crossing is to permanently close as Network Rail continues to upgrade the railway between Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley.
Rockingham Road in Market Harborough will be closed over the weekend as Network Rail installs new drainage.