- Network Rail will be investing £160m in improving and upgrading the rail network over the Christmas period including largest ever signal data upgrade at Paddington.
- Passengers travelling from the west are advised to plan ahead as upgrade work means Paddington will have no train services running between December 24 and 27 inclusive (London underground services are unaffected)
- A reduced service to and from London Paddington will then be in operation from 28 December to 1 January inclusive
Latest news for this region
Last few days for passengers to plan their journeys ahead of Network Rail’s bumper Christmas investment
- Major service restrictions will be in place from Saturday 23 December to 1 January
- Improvement work at Sevenoaks Tunnel between Tonbridge and Sevenoaks from Saturday, 23 to Tuesday, 26 December
- Work to complete the new platform at Redhill station from Saturday, 23 December to Monday, 1 January 2018.
- On 2 January the final section of London Bridge’s huge, modern concourse will open
- Platforms 1 – 5 will be complete, allowing Cannon Street services to once again call at London Bridge
Reminder that railway investment means changes to trains in the West Midlands this Christmas and New Year
Train customers in the West Midlands are being urged to plan journeys in advance and allow extra time over the festive period while work takes place to make the railway more reliable.
Passengers travelling through Southampton over festive period reminded to check before travelling ahead of £8 million upgrade work
- Passengers reminded of service alterations in Southampton area from 24 December to 1 January as upgrade work takes place
- Network Rail and South Western Railway advise passengers to plan their journey ahead and travel before Christmas Eve on Sunday 24th December if possible
Christmas came early for festive travellers today as they were greeted by a merry band of Network Rail volunteers who carried their luggage and heavy bags for them.
Over the weekend, engineers working at West Calder took a massive step forward in the delivery of a new accessible footbridge at the station.
- Network Rail will be working to deliver more than 260 projects across Britain over Christmas
- The £160m investment is crucial to providing more frequent, faster services and help relieve over-crowding
- Service restrictions will be in place from Saturday 23rd December to 1st January
Network Rail is advising passengers in Hampshire to check before they travel on Monday morning (18 December) due to over running engineering work.
Network Rail engineers will deliver a £3.5m investment to renew a key junction in Coatbridge this Christmas.
Shoppers at London Waterloo will be able to benefit from a free Christmas wrapping service for gifts bought in station shops on Monday and Tuesday next week.