Friday 15 Sep 2023
Main construction contract for Beaulieu Park station awarded
- Region & Route:
- Eastern: Anglia
Network Rail has awarded the second of two contracts to build the new railway station for Chelmsford’s Beaulieu development to J Murphy & Sons Ltd. This contract award was possible following a recent agreement between Network Rail and Essex County Council to complete the construction of the new station.
The £124 million contract includes main construction work for the new station on behalf of partners Essex County Council and Chelmsford City Council. This phase of the work includes the construction for the new station facility, the associated infrastructure, and progress towards opening to train services for the benefit of passengers.
As part of a wider regeneration scheme, the new station has been designed to support the economic development of the Beaulieu area and its construction will include:
- Three platforms with a central loop line and new tracks to enable stopping services to call at the station while allowing fast trains to pass through unimpeded
- Step free access to all platforms via 2 lifts
- Accessible toilets, baby change facilities, waiting area and space for retail/catering
- Ticketing facilities, with ticket vending machines and a gate line
- Pedestrian and cycle access routes to the station
- 500 spaces for cycle parking and storage
- A bus interchange including bus stands for local services
- Pick up and drop off area with dedicated taxi bays
- Parking for over 700 cars, 5% of which to be designated Blue Badge bays, and motorcycle spaces, as well as dedicated parking for station staff, emergency services, and a dedicated space for service access
Beaulieu Park station is currently expected to be completed by end of 2025. Once open, the station will be managed by Greater Anglia and served by its fleet of new trains with services into London.
Katie Frost, Network Rail’s route director for Anglia said: “J Murphy and Sons have made an excellent start with the enabling and civils works and this contract award will allow us to seamlessly continue to deliver this amazing new station for Chelmsford without pause.
Beaulieu Park station is an excellent example of what the railway industry can do when working in partnership with local organisations to improve the railway for the benefit of communities and businesses by delivering a new station for the Beaulieu community.”
Chris Cayton, Managing Director – Transportation, J Murphy & Sons Ltd “We’re very proud to be continuing our long partnership with Network Rail through the construction of Beaulieu Park station, a major enhancement to the transport network in Chelmsford. Significant progress has been made by the Murphy team over the past few months, including modification to the rail systems, groundworks and piling for the station building.
“In the coming months residents will see their new station take shape, as the platforms are constructed, and the steelwork is erected, ahead of major commissioning of the railway infrastructure at Christmas.”
For more information about the Beaulieu Park station project please visit our project webpage: www.networkrail.co.uk/beaulieu
Follow us on Twitter @networkrailANG using the hashtag #BeaulieuParkStation
Notes to Editors
Notes to Editors:
- J. Murphy & Sons Limited is a leading global, specialist engineering and construction company founded in 1951 that operates in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada.
- Essex County Council announced the agreement with Network Rail to complete the construction of Beaulieu Park station on 27 July 2023.
- The first £37.8 million contract was awarded to J Murphy and Sons in January 2023 to begin the enabling work, including site set up, civils, earthworks, and modifications to track and signalling.
- Essex County Council, in partnership with Chelmsford City Council, successfully secured £218m of funding from the Government’s Housing and Infrastructure (HIF) fund together with £12m in contributions from the South East Local Enterprise Partnership and £22m from Countryside and L&Q, the developers of Beaulieu.
Passengers / community members
Network Rail national helpline
03457 11 41 41
Latest travel advice
Please visit National Rail Enquiries
Network Rail press office - Stephen Deaville
Senior Communications Manager
0330 8577 132
About Network Rail
We own, operate and develop Britain's railway infrastructure; that's 20,000 miles of track, 30,000 bridges, tunnels and viaducts and the thousands of signals, level crossings and stations. We run 20 of the UK's largest stations while all the others, over 2,500, are run by the country's train operating companies.
Usually, there are almost five million journeys made in the UK and over 600 freight trains run on the network. People depend on Britain's railway for their daily commute, to visit friends and loved ones and to get them home safe every day. Our role is to deliver a safe and reliable railway, so we carefully manage and deliver thousands of projects every year that form part of the multi-billion pound Railway Upgrade Plan, to grow and expand the nation's railway network to respond to the tremendous growth and demand the railway has experienced - a doubling of passenger journeys over the past 20 years.