Thursday 20 Oct 2005
LEAF FALL WEAPONS READY TO HIT THEIR TARGET
- Rapid response teams strategically located across the route, using railhead scrubbers, sand and Natrusolve, which dissolves the leaf mulch
- Daily leaf-fall predictions based on wind throw and weather forecasts
- A dedicated Weather Strategy Co-ordinator who is responsible for co-ordinating the campaign, supported by a dedicated ‘leaf-busting’ unit in London
- 11 Static Sandite Applicators that dispense sandite along the track
- Over 400 miles of track will be treated daily, compared to 280 last year
Passengers / community members
Network Rail national helpline
03457 11 41 41
Latest travel advice
Please visit National Rail Enquiries
Network Rail press office -Western route
About Network Rail
We own, operate and develop Britain's railway infrastructure; that's 20,000 miles of track, 30,000 bridges, tunnels and viaducts and the thousands of signals, level crossings and stations. We run 20 of the UK's largest stations while all the others, over 2,500, are run by the country's train operating companies.
Usually, there are almost five million journeys made in the UK and over 600 freight trains run on the network. People depend on Britain's railway for their daily commute, to visit friends and loved ones and to get them home safe every day. Our role is to deliver a safe and reliable railway, so we carefully manage and deliver thousands of projects every year that form part of the multi-billion pound Railway Upgrade Plan, to grow and expand the nation's railway network to respond to the tremendous growth and demand the railway has experienced - a doubling of passenger journeys over the past 20 years.