Thursday 20 Aug 2026
Full-length platform access to be restored at Paignton station next week following devastating July fire
- Region & Route:
- Wales & Western: Great Western
- | Wales & Western
Network Rail and Great Western Railway (GWR) have confirmed that full-length access to Platform 2 at Paignton station will be restored from the start of service on Monday 24 August, enabling the return of nine-carriage trains four days earlier than previously expected.
The milestone marks another significant step in the recovery from the fire that caused extensive damage to the station building and railway infrastructure on Tuesday 21 July. One week after the blaze, the station reopened to passengers with temporary access arrangements, however damage to Platform 2 meant that while local stopping services between Paignton and Newton Abbot could use the far end of the platform, long-distance trains were unable to call at the station.
From Monday, passengers will be able to board and alight from the full length of Platform 2, enabling nine-carriage services to operate to and from Paignton once again. Access to the platform will continue to be via the temporary route through the station car park, using the previously constructed ramps. In addition, station access will also be available through a gated entrance at the start of the platform area, with signage and wayfinding in place to help direct passengers safely.
Since reopening the station on Tuesday 28 July, engineers have continued repair and rebuilding work, which remains ongoing. As a result, the ticket office, main station entrance, and footbridge remain closed to the public. A temporary ticket office is in place while work to fully restore the station continues, and access to Platform 1 is via the ramp at the end of the platform next to the level crossing.
Network Rail route infrastructure engineer, Daniel Parkes, said: "Reinstating access to the full length of Platform 2 ahead of schedule is the result of a huge team effort from colleagues across the railway industry who have worked tirelessly since the fire to ensure we could restore long-distance services to Paignton as safely and as swiftly as possible.
"Although parts of the station remain closed while rebuilding continues, this latest milestone will improve capacity and convenience for passengers.
"We're grateful to the community and our local partners for their ongoing support throughout the recovery. While the return of full-length access to Platform 2 is a major achievement, our work doesn’t stop here. We are now focused on restoring the station canopy, footbridge and other key facilities, while keeping trains running and the station open for passengers."
Stephanie Chapman, GWR station manager for South Devon said: "Reopening the full-length platform ahead of schedule is a real team effort, and a reflection of the extraordinary commitment shown by Network Rail's engineers, Torbay Council and everyone who has worked so hard since the fire.
"We are grateful to all our partners, and to the people of Paignton for their patience. There is still work to do, but this milestone means more passengers can travel to and from Paignton as normal, taking full advantage of the benefits of rail once more."
Steve Darling, Member of Parliament for Torbay, said: “It is great news that full-length platform access will be restored from Monday 24 August. The fire has had a devastating impact on our community and the act itself was horrendous, and endangered the life of staff working on site at the time.
“Network Rail and GWR are working hard to turn this negative into a positive. I am delighted to hear about the plans to renovate the station to enhance it over what was there before. I will continue working with Network Rail and GWR to help improve our stations and develop our transport links across Torbay.”
The reinstatement of the full-length platform comes as Torbay Council has announced that one lane of Victoria Street will reopen to traffic from Friday afternoon (21 August) following the emergency closure that’s been in place since May. Some restrictions will remain in the area, and the station car park will remain closed to vehicles as it continues to provide temporary access to the railway station.
Councillor David Thomas, Leader of Torbay Council, said: “This has been an exceptionally challenging summer for Paignton, with two significant emergency deconstruction projects taking place at the same time in the heart of the town. Despite the complexity of these works, everyone involved has remained focused on keeping people safe and maintaining access wherever possible. I would like to thank all the teams and partners who have worked so hard throughout this period. We are pleased to be able to reopen these key transport links and take an important step towards restoring normality for our community.”
Notes to Editors
- The taxi rank in front of Paignton station will remain closed as the area is currently being used as part of the station rebuilding work. Alternative taxi ranks are available at either end of Torbay Road.
- The closure of Victoria Street took place in May after masonry fell from a privately-owned building. Torbay Council then worked to secure the legal permissions necessary to demolish 62-70 Victoria Street and demolition work began in mid-July.
Contact information
Passengers / community members
Network Rail national helpline
03457 11 41 41
Latest travel advice
Please visit National Rail Enquiries
Journalists
Emily Maiden
Network Rail
Emily.Maiden@networkrail.co.uk
About Network Rail
We own, operate and develop Britain's railway infrastructure; that's 20,000 miles of track, 30,000 bridges, tunnels and viaducts and the thousands of signals, level crossings and stations. We run 20 of the UK's largest stations while all the others, over 2,500, are run by the country's train operating companies.
Usually, there are almost five million journeys made in the UK and over 600 freight trains run on the network. People depend on Britain's railway for their daily commute, to visit friends and loved ones and to get them home safe every day. Our role is to deliver a safe and reliable railway, so we carefully manage and deliver thousands of projects every year that form part of the multi-billion pound Railway Upgrade Plan, to grow and expand the nation's railway network to respond to the tremendous growth and demand the railway has experienced - a doubling of passenger journeys over the past 20 years.
Follow us on Twitter: @networkrail
Visit our online newsroom: www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk