Welcome to Network Rail's media centre
Network Rail and train operators remind passengers to follow public health advice as temperatures soar
- With temperatures set to reach the mid-30s in parts of Britain towards the end of this week and into the weekend, the rail industry is working to keep passengers moving safely
- Passengers are being asked to plan ahead and continue to follow public health advice when travelling by rail – wear a face covering unless you are exempt, maintain a distance from others and travel at quieter times wherever possible
- Network Rail has activated its extreme weather action teams (EWATs) at hotspots across the country. Speed restrictions may be introduced at the hottest locations to keep services running as reliably as possible in extreme heat
- Train operators will have staff on hand to help and provide guidance through journey planners and social media
Passengers should plan ahead over August Bank Holiday weekend
- Network Rail carrying out £105m worth of investment to upgrade the railway and improve future passenger journeys over August Bank Holiday
- Those who are travelling by rail should wear a face covering unless they are exempt. Passengers should also travel at quieter times and maintain a distance from other passengers wherever possible
Crumlin’s River Ebbw railway bridge to get £5m upgrade
Passengers in south Wales could benefit from more services in the future as Network Rail is upgrading the River Ebbw railway bridge in Crumlin with the £5m upgrade starting next month.
Shocking CCTV footage shows dangerous level crossing misuse in East Yorkshire
Network Rail is urging cyclists and pedestrians to use level crossings safely, after shocking CCTV footage shows people recklessly misusing a crossing in East Yorkshire.
Wherry line track renewal works set to commence on Friday 14 August
Passengers are reminded to check before travelling for journeys between Norwich and Lowestoft as week long track renewal works to improve reliability of services begin later this week.
Network Rail appoint new lead for Centre of Excellence for capital delivery
Network Rail has appointed a new lead for the Capital Delivery Centre of Excellence as they continue to improve the delivery of major projects and investment on the railway.
Network Rail holds information events ahead of major resignalling project between Newark and Lincoln
Network Rail is inviting residents to find out more about improvement work which will take place on the line between Lincoln and Newark in 2022, as part of a major resignalling project.
Railway workers repair lifeboat ramp during Cumbrian Coast line protection work
Railway engineers securing the Cumbrian Coast line from extreme weather and erosion have rebuilt a section of public slipway used to launch lifeboats to rescue those in distress at sea.
Network Rail’s Southern Region completes roll out of secure radio capability, as Wessex route goes live to improve its emergency and incident response
Network Rail Southern region has completed the rollout of a new digital secure radio system across its network, as Wessex route joins Sussex and Kent in introducing Airwave to its front-line responders, speeding up response times to improve train performance and improving links with the emergency services.
George Stephenson designed railway viaduct to be restored in Calderdale
An 180-year-old viaduct designed by railway pioneer George Stephenson is undergoing a multi-million-pound restoration to improve passenger journeys and secure its future for generations to come.