Essential work to replace track equipment between Queen’s Park and Stonebridge Park at Willesden will take place between Saturday 23 October and Sunday 31 October 2004 (inclusive). The crucial work, carried out by Network Rail, will affect Silverlink Metro passengers travelling out of London Euston towards Watford and London Underground passengers on the northern end of the Bakerloo line. Passengers using Silverlink and Virgin services will not be affected.
The nine-day closure will deliver long-term benefits for the route as several complex railway crossovers are being replaced resulting in smoother, faster and more reliable journeys. Engineers will also be taking the opportunity to carry out other essential maintenance and renewals work on the line.
Robbie Burns, Network Rail Route Director said: “This £3.5 million project is essential to the safe and well-performing running of this busy stretch of railway out of London Euston. The closure of the line will enable our engineers to work around-the-clock to get this complex work done as quickly and efficiently as possible.
“The schedule has been carefully planned to coincide with the autumn school holidays, when less people will be using the route. However, we do apologise to any passengers who are affected and thank them for their patience.”
- more -
Willesden – 2
Silverlink Metro’s Route Director, Mark Steward commented: “Silverlink Metro is a busy railway so there is never a good time to close it. At the same time because it is a busy line on which so many people rely, it is important that it is maintained to a standard that enables us to run a reliable service. By giving the track between Queen’s Park and Stonebridge Park to Network Rail engineers for nine days the work can be completed more quickly than over a number of weekends. We will be working with London Underground, London Buses and our colleagues in Silverlink County to provide comprehensive alternative travel arrangements during this period.”
Penny Hazell, LU’s General Manager of the Bakerloo line said: “We have been working closely with Network Rail, Silverlink and Metronet to plan for this closure. Our joint aim is to provide our customers with viable alternatives. This closure will mean longer travelling times over nine days planned to coincide with half term, however I know that everyone looks forward to the benefits. This work will deliver improved reliability for everyone travelling north of Queen’s Park.”
Information and amended timetables will be available at stations along the route and further information will be published on www.silverlink-trains.com
Alternative travel arrangements
For Silverlink passengers:
· No trains will run between Queen’s Park and Stonebridge Park.
Passengers should use:
- Rail shuttle service between Euston and Queen’s Park every 20 minutes.
- Replacement bus service between Queen’s Park and Stonebridge Park.
- Rail shuttle service between Stonebridge Park and Watford.
- Some Silverlink County into and out of Euston, will additionally call at Wembley Central, Harrow & Wealdstone, Bushey and Watford Junction.
- more –
Willesden – 3
For London Underground passengers:
· No Bakerloo line trains will run between Queen’s Park and Harrow & Wealdstone.
Passengers should use:
· Bakerloo line trains between Queen’s Park and Elephant & Castle.
· Replacement bus service between Queen’s Park and Stonebridge Park.
· Silverlink Metro rail shuttle service between Stonebridge Park and Harrow & Wealdstone.
· Main line intercity trains into and out of Euston, calling at Wembley Central and Harrow & Wealdstone.
In addition, valid Silverlink and London Underground tickets will be accepted on local bus services between Queen’s Park and Harrow & Wealdstone.
For further travel advice, please contact National Rail Enquiries on 08457 48 49 50 or London Travel Information on 020 7222 1234.