Thursday 11 Jan 2024
Network Rail Consulting wins key role in development of high-speed railway in California, USA
- Region & Route:
Washington DC, January 2024 – Network Rail Consulting’s US subsidiary, Network Rail Consulting Inc, has been awarded a $73.2m (£57.5m) contract to provide systems engineering services to California’s High-Speed Rail Program.
The first dedicated high-speed railway in the USA, California’s high-speed network will see 200-mph trains linking the Los Angeles basin with San Francisco, with later branches to Sacramento and San Diego. With construction is under way, Network Rail Consulting Inc will directly support the California High-Speed Rail Authority’s Rail and Operations Delivery Branch in a partner role through to May 2029.
Network Rail Consulting Inc’s Chief Executive and Network Rail Consulting Global Managing Director, Nigel Ash, said “Having been involved in the development of the California High-Speed Rail Program since 2015, we’re delighted to have the opportunity to continue our support to the California High-Speed Rail Authority to help deliver this important investment that is poised to be one of the most transformative infrastructure programs in U.S. history.”
Services supported by Network Rail Consulting will include asset management, rail engineering support and oversight, design and construction operations and maintenance oversight, network integration and program compliance, start-up and commissioning, Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) certification, rule of applicability, system safety and security, and track, systems, and trainsets contracts commercial support.
Network Rail Consulting will be supported by international consultants, Egis and Ricardo, together with six local California companies, C2PM, D.R McNatty & Associates, Inc., GCM Consulting, Inc., Intueor Consulting, Inc., LOR Consulting Group LLC, and NSI Engineering, Inc. The California High-Speed Rail Authority is responsible for planning, designing, building, and operating the high-speed network, which will eventually total 800 miles of railway with up to 24
stations. In addition, the Authority is working with regional partners to implement a statewide rail modernisation plan that will invest billions of dollars in local and regional rail lines to meet the State’s 21st century transportation needs.
To find out more about the California High-Speed Rail project visit http://www.buildhsr.com and for more information on Network Rail Consulting’s services and capabilities visit www.networkrailconsulting.com
For further information, contact Sam Clarke, firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
About Network Rail Consulting
- Network Rail Consulting is a wholly owned subsidiary of Network Rail International Ltd, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Network Rail. Network Rail Consulting was established in 2012 to benchmark Network Rail’s capabilities in the international market and enhance the capabilities of its staff through international experience which could then be deployed back into its UK operations.
- Whilst Network Rail is a Public Body and funded by the UK Government, Network Rail Consulting is funded through its commercial operations and is classified as a Public Corporation. The board of directors of Network Rail Consulting comprises Jeremy Westlake (non-executive chair), Nigel Ash (global managing director), Andrew Noble (finance director), Ian Dobbs (non-executive director), Neil Reynolds (non-executive director) and Mark Prior (non-executive director).
- Network Rail Consulting has subsidiaries in Australia, Canada, and the USA; and operates from offices in Boston, Brisbane, London (HQ), Jeddah, Melbourne, New York, Riyadh, Sacramento, San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto and Washington DC.
- Network Rail Consulting is selling the full range of rail expertise available within Network Rail including advisory services, strategic planning, major projects, including systems integration and project and programme management, railways operations, including timetabling and operational modelling, and asset management and maintenance.
- More information can be found at www.networkrailconsulting.com or you can download the Network
Rail Consulting Fact Sheet here.
Passengers / community members
Network Rail national helpline
03457 11 41 41
Latest travel advice
Please visit National Rail Enquiries
Network Rail press office - Chris Denham
Senior media relations manager
020 3357 7969
About Network Rail
We own, operate and develop Britain's railway infrastructure; that's 20,000 miles of track, 30,000 bridges, tunnels and viaducts and the thousands of signals, level crossings and stations. We run 20 of the UK's largest stations while all the others, over 2,500, are run by the country's train operating companies.
Usually, there are almost five million journeys made in the UK and over 600 freight trains run on the network. People depend on Britain's railway for their daily commute, to visit friends and loved ones and to get them home safe every day. Our role is to deliver a safe and reliable railway, so we carefully manage and deliver thousands of projects every year that form part of the multi-billion pound Railway Upgrade Plan, to grow and expand the nation's railway network to respond to the tremendous growth and demand the railway has experienced - a doubling of passenger journeys over the past 20 years.