The South West
This area includes the Great Western Main Line and its branches, covering the route from London Paddington to Penzance, through Bristol and onto Pilning, up to the boundaries with Wales, Worcester and Basingstoke. It operates and maintains over 900 miles of track, enabling the running of over 2,000 services a day. Train operators include Great Western Railway, South West Railway, CrossCountry, Chiltern Railways and Heathrow Express.
Latest news for this route
Passengers urged to check before they travel ahead of £5million railway upgrade in Cornwall
Passengers are being reminded to check before they travel as Network Rail starts work this weekend on £5million worth of upgrades in Cornwall.
Significant step towards more resilient railway as new Dawlish sea wall takes shape despite challenging conditions caused by Storm Ciara
Plans to protect the vital rail artery to the south west from rising sea levels and extreme weather have taken a significant step forward despite challenging storm conditions.
Your journey on the railway starts here - applications now open for Network Rail’s apprenticeship scheme
Interested in a career on the railway? Network Rail is recruiting the next batch of future rail leaders through their highly regarded apprenticeship scheme. Applications are now open for a September 2020 start and will close when all places have been filled.
National Rail Passenger Survey results show Bristol Temple Meads is the UK’s most improved station
New figures released this week show that Bristol Temple Meads is the overall most improved station in the UK, following a survey carried out by independent watchdog Transport Focus.
Network Rail unveils updated plan to protect vital south west rail line bordered by steep cliffs and the sea
- Updated proposals published for changes to the rail line in south Devon which needs to be better protected from cliff falls, land slips and damage caused by extreme weather
- Public consultation now open until 1 March for local communities across the south west to help shape the final design of the scheme
- Six-week consultation includes details of the plans to realign the railway to make room for corrective measures to stabilise the cliffs
- The updated plans mean most of the beach is retained with improved leisure access and amenities including new, fully accessible coastal walking routes
Extra consultation event added as Network Rail shares updated plans to protect vital railway artery to the south west
Network Rail has added another consultation event in Teignmouth, Devon, as they prepare to share their updated plans to protect a section of railway in south Devon that is bordered by steep cliffs on one side and the sea on the other.
Public consultation round two: Have your say on revised plans to protect vital rail line between Teignmouth and Dawlish
- Local communities invited to view revised plans and help shape final design of changes to vital, vulnerable rail line
- Public consultation opens on 20 January
- Six-week consultation will include further details of proposed realignment of railway, stabilising measures and new public amenities
- 10-metre scale model illustrating proposals to be presented to the public
Alok Sharma MP welcomes development work starting to improve accessibility for Tilehurst station
Passengers at Tilehurst, in Berkshire, could be set to benefit from lifts on all four platforms after Network Rail signalled their intent to develop plans for step-free access at the station.
Results 1 - 8 out of 782