Tuesday 28 Jan 2003
STATION IMPROVEMENTS RUNNING ON TIME
- Cleared away the old station building
- Begun to lay the foundations for the new building, which are now well advanced
- Completed the new steelwork for the entrance building, waiting room and canopy
- Installation of the glazing will start shortly
- Completed foundations for a fifth platform, with work on the front wall of the platform progressing well. The new platform will come into use when a major resignalling scheme in the area is complete
About Network Rail
We own, operate and develop Britain's railway infrastructure; that's 20,000 miles of track, 40,000 bridges, tunnels and viaducts and the thousands of signals, level crossings and stations. We run 19 of the UK's largest stations while all the others, over 2,500, are run by the country's train operating companies.
Every day, more than 4.6 million journeys are made in the UK. People depend on Britain's railway for their daily commute, to visit friends and loved ones and to get them home safe every day. Our role is to deliver a safe and reliable railway, so we carefully manage and deliver thousands of projects every year that form part of the multi-billion pound Railway Upgrade Plan, to grow and expand the nation's railway network to respond to the tremendous growth and demand the railway has experienced - a doubling of passenger journeys over the past 20 years.
We are building a better railway for a better Britain.