Network Rail is advising passengers in Hampshire to check before they travel on Monday morning (18 December) due to over running engineering work.
James Crook 07730353042
Urgent out-of-hours 0330 333 1800
The Wessex Route is one of the busiest and most congested routes on the rail network. With 1,300 miles of track and over 200 stations, it includes the major commuter area of south west London as well as providing long distance services from Waterloo to the south and south-west of England, including all or part of the counties of Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire, Dorset, Somerset and Wiltshire.
Wessex contains some of the most densely trafficked railway lines in the country and is vital in supporting long distance traffic to and from other regions on its main lines. Significant urban areas on the route include Aldershot, Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth, Guildford, Woking and Basingstoke. The network carries passenger services and significant volumes of freight traffic, linking Southampton Port and Airport with the Midlands and North of England, and is used by a number of operating companies.
Latest news for this region
Shoppers at London Waterloo will be able to benefit from a free Christmas wrapping service for gifts bought in station shops on Monday and Tuesday next week.
Passengers travelling through Southampton this month reminded to check before travelling ahead of £8 million upgrade work
- Service alterations in Southampton area this Sunday (December 10) and next Sunday (December 17)
- Upgrade work will then take place from 24 December to 1 January, with service alterations throughout
- Network Rail and South Western Railway advise passengers to plan their journey ahead and travel before Christmas Eve on Sunday 24th December if possible
Passengers travelling through Southampton this Christmas advised to plan ahead as £8 million project to renew railway is delivered
- Work will take place from 24 December to 1 January, with significant alteration to services
- Buses will replace trains between Southampton Central and Southampton Airport Parkway; and Southampton Central and Fareham
- Journeys on the line between London, Bournemouth, Poole and Weymouth affected
- Passengers advised to plan their journey ahead and travel before Christmas Eve
Network Rail and South Western Railway are reminding passengers to check before they travel over seven weekends this autumn as work to boost capacity at the station by 30% continues.
Network Rail fully reopened Waterloo station this morning after completing one of the largest and most complex upgrades in the station’s history.